Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Good Night Irene

Progress slowed over the weekend with the arrival of Irene.  Only lost a few shingles though.

Here is a picture of Hood Field with 5 of the 10 inches of rain we had Saturday.  This was at 10 AM.



In the meantime work continued on the center section.  We have added a few more skins.



The goal is to install it on the struts before the match drilling takes place.  Once on the struts the four corners are established.  Otherwise it is like a pretzel sitting on the sawhorses.

I worked on the end fittings for the forward diagonal struts.  This was pretty straightforward.  The rivets used are CherryMax.




The brakets are supposed to be .750 wide to accept the end fitting but they have a little spring back at the extremity and are only .737 or so wide at the end.




I checked with Dennis at Lockwood and he said this is not unusual but would send me some different ones if I wanted.  He said no problem splaying them open so I am satisfied.  This is one of the few things that has not been perfect in the kit.  The quality is pretty amazing to me.  I got one to go in without to much bother and I only need to assemble it now for the trial fitting and then once more for final installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment