Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Moving Forward

Three solid days working on the Aicam.  Would have been further along but a few bad rivets held up progress.  CherryMax rivets are more difficult to remove than standards rivets plus there is some tight access.  Had to put in these shear clips.  There are several bulkheads with these.  The upper ones are not too hard to get to but the lower ones are nasty.




This is one half of a main bulkhead that will support the rear of the wing and the engines.



These are shear clips at the bottom skin.  I swapped some structural AD rivets for the Cherrys because it was better access.  The head of the pull rivet gun is large.  It was much easier to use an offset rivet set and a bucking bar.  There are two more stations with these clips.  Don't worry, I didn't leave out any rivets.  The plans say just do the top and bottom rows, probably because only four rivets tie into the longeron



This is a brace used to insert a step so you will be able to check the engines out.  It ties to the longerons and a bulkhead with a doubler.  Here it is clecoed in.



And here it is riveted up.



I have temporarily assembled the other half of the bulkhead.  The plans are lacking a few details here  and I don't want to get ahead of myself.




I should get to this tomorrow night.  Then I will lay out the rest of the cargo section.  That should be straightforward.  The next major item will be the landing gear bulkhead.  It is stout!

Bleriot is suffering from the heat, so she likes to lay low.


Meanwhile Pumpkin usually watches me type when I do the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment